lundi 6 avril 2009

Su-Doku Part II: What's the rush?



Around these parts, I guess Paris that is, some of us joke that we’re not “Russian” but American when we’re running late from one place to three others.  Well I caught myself rushing when I didn’t have to, and I was sitting down.  Let me explain (somehow you knew that I would, so just go ahead and grab your cup of coffee or Merlot, Bordeaux or hot chocolate – depending on your geographical locale and time zone, and spend a few moments with me.).  As I worked another Su-doku puzzle this morning, I became cocky and over-confident and thus made many mistakes.  I seemed to be completing it faster than usual, and then I had to consult the answer grid to get me back on track.  En plus (that’s French for “in addition to that”) I was talking on the phone, or the other person was talking and I was trying to listen and pay attention to Su-doku.  Hmmm.  You don’t have to say anything, I can hear you thinking it.  Anyhooo, we will come back to that.

The answer grid shows us what it’s supposed to look like when we’ve successfully completed the puzzle.  Hmmm.  God’s Word – written and prophetic is our answer grid to ALL of life’s situations – it’s our answer grid, even for those things not specifically addressed in black and white, or red.  Let’s just skip around a little bit to keep it interesting.  You see in school when taking a test, to consult the answers before completing the test is called cheating.  But in God’s kingdom this is not the case.  He commands (not in a controlling way but with loving indignation, like a teacher who wants you to ask questions and learn well) that we look at the answers first, so we will know how to “study” and learn.  He’s not concerned that we be perfect in everything with no mistakes, as the conditions on which our human and earthly cultures are based.  God is more concerned that we really “get it!”  Got it?  He wants us to really “learn” the “material”, for instance “love one another as I have loved you.”  He wants us to be able to apply and use in practical ways the inspirations and revelations we receive from His Word and His Heart by His Spirit, to mature us, such as “speaking the truth to each other in love” and “putting away all lying and slander and gossip and bitterness, etc.”  Hmmmm. (four m’s that time.)

First of all, it’s been a long time since I’ve royally messed up a Su-doku puzzle, for I usually take it slow, or put it down when I get stuck, but this one jerked me back to reality and warned me of several things:

First of all (again?), it’s rude to the other person who’s talking to you for you not to be fully there when they’re speaking, whether by phone, chat room, or and especially face-to-face.  My training as a psychologist and counselor has taught me this well.  So I had to be reminded that I must not multi-task when it comes to listening to people unless truly necessary, and cooking too.  LOL!!  Secondly, don’t get cocky because of past successes.  Being over confident is just as bad, maybe even worse than lack of confidence.  How can I say that?  (I just did.  Okay.  Ahem)  Well, because you can get on a roll and roll right on down the hill with Jack and Jill and before you know it all the water in your pail is spilled, your crown is broken, and voila! your insurance premiums go up!!  That’s it in a nutshell.  Anyhoo, you’re no longer in control and where you stop rolling, nobody knows!!  LOL!!

Third, or is it thirdly?  (Where are all the good English teachers of days gone by to keep us writing and speaking correctly?)  Don’t be too proud to check the answer grid every once in a while to keep errors to a minimum.  Keep short accounts with yourself, others and with God.  When you’ve not heard from a friend or loved one in a while, why not drop them an SMS (or an SOS), or an email and ask “how ya doing?”  Check your emotional, mental, and spiritual temperatures, blood pressure, weight, teeth, etc. every once in a while to see if you’re on healthy track.  Preventative maintenance can keep us from becoming high maintenance.  :-)

Finally, Su-doku humbly admonished me to slow down.  What’s the rush?  Su-doku is not necessarily a game you have to speed through (unless of course you’re competing with a friend or yourself and the clock).  For me I use it to slow down and empty my mind from all the multi-tasks I must do.  So why did I mess up?  I think I told you already, but since you asked, now you must start back at the beginning for obviously you did not get it the first time.  I messed up because of Cocky Pride in Speedos (no, not a man, just a play on words.)  LOL!!

As I live from day to day the clock continues to tick forward.  Even if I take out the battery time will not stand still for me.  So I’d rather make the most and best use of my time and other resources by doing whatever I’m doing, the right way the first time.  There’s not always enough time for back-tracking, so I must not get in a hurry to be on time when I’m already late!  “Haste makes waste.”  And if I’m on time, then there’s no need to rush, right?  Sometimes I envision falling down the stairs chasing after a train and missing it anyway, but now with a possible injury, or damaged luggage etc.  It’s just not worth it.  Thanks again Su-doku for preventing another possible disaster.  This is another lesson well-taught and well-taken, and for me, one well-learned.  Hey, if you can avoid becoming part of the cattle call running through the metro and chasing buses, etc. then do.  Pace yourself, and even schedule yourself if you must.  (No I’ve still not mastered this, but I will continue working on it until I do, because it’s so important as we get younger.  We cannot afford unnecessary accidents, etc.)  What’s all the rushin about anyway?  I’M not Russian.  I’m American.  “Head ‘em up!  Move ‘em out!  Rawhide!"

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire